Saturday, August 23, 2008

Obama-Biden Ticket and My Weekend in Denver...

Yesterday was a day of wonderful opportunity. After spending my morning at the Pepsi Center and receiving a sneak peak at the convention floor, I had the opportunity to meet and be addressed by Gov. Howard Dean, Chairman of the Democratic National Committee. His address, speaking about the importance of my generation, was one of the most inspiring speeches I have ever heard in my life.

On another topic, at roughly 1:15AM mountain time, I received my text message officially declaring Senator Joe Biden as Barack Obama's running mate for the 2008 Presidential Election. I see a lot of parallels between this year's contest and the election of 1960 between Senator John F. Kennedy and Vice President Richard M. Nixon. It is the the idea of the familiar past challenging the progress of the future. The inexperienced Obama's pick of Joe Biden, a very experienced Senator, is reminiscent of Kennedy's selection of Lyndon Johnson, who was one of the most respected and experienced senators of his time.

The selection of Joe Biden provides a nice balance to the Democratic Ticket. His six terms in the US Senate, and his great level of foreign policy experience help to counter Barack Obama's relative lack of foreign policy experience and time in Washington. It also seems as though Biden will be attack dog on John McCain. It will be interesting to see how this developes, and if John McCain will use his VP selection as an opportunity to strike back.

No comments: